Monday, March 23, 2009

Is that all?!

Spasmodic Croup. All parents need to know about this. Let me set the scene.

Friday Night:

8:00p.m.-Kylie goes to bed a happy baby.

8:30p.m.-Talking on the phone with Katie about ordinary things, crafts and exciting house news!

9:30ish or so- Katie and I finished talking and Steve and I questioned if we want to watch a late movie on demand or not.

10:30p.m.- After still discussing the movie we want to watch, I hear a noise. I assumed that it was our weirdo neighbors but I wanted to make sure that it wasn't Kylie.

10:31p.m.- Rush upstairs to find Kylie gasping for air. I called for Steve.

10:35 or so- I ran down the stairs to get Kylie some water

10:36- Kylie still not able to breath after water. In a quick panic we rushed Kylie down stairs and realized that something was VERY VERY seriously wrong!

10:40- Steve asked me to do the Heimlich maneuver on Kylie thinking that she could have swallowed something.

10:42- While Steve called 911, I was looking at my baby gasping for air while holding her in my arms and attempting a Heimlich maneuver on her. (Not sure how hard to actually press if she didn't really swallow something, pressing too hard will break a rib.) I thought that at this moment I was going to lose Kylie. Her face was pink and she wasn't breathing. Nothing was in her crib that she could have choked on. Steven was crying, and I was beside myself on how I can save her. My heart was sinking in my chest and I had no idea what was happening to my Kylie. She kept looking up at me as if she was saying "Mommy help me, I can't breath mommy!" Could you imagine how that must have felt. Steven kept telling me, do something honey, save her! I felt like I was holding my daughters life in my hands. I prayed to God to help us.

10:55- The paramedics arrive at our door. By this time, I was just holding Kylie in my arms rocking her and she seemed to calm down a bit and catch some breath.

11:00- After taking a look at Kylie, the paramedics said that it looks like she is having some upper-respiratory issues going on and that they advised us to take her to the ER.

11:15- We arrive at the ER. Kylie is doing ok at this moment. We wait around for a few minutes and the nurse took us in right away.

11:30- Kylie's temp. was taken and they checked her blood pressure. Her temp. was a little up and gradually moving towards a fever.

11:50- The Dr. examined Kylie. Right away they diagnosed Kylie with Spasmodic Croup with a kind, Oh yeah, it's just Croup kind of attitude. Now, I've heard of Croup before because I work with children, but nothing like this. I think that this is something that all parents need to be told about. Steven and I thought that we were going to loose our little girl. This was the most terrifying thing in the world.

12:20- The Dr. gave Kylie a breathing treatment twice. Kylie liked this as she had a big smile on her face when we were giving her the medicine.

12:50- The Dr. prescribed her steroid medicine. Anti-biotics do nothing to get rid of croup as it is viral and not a baterial infection.

1:50- We were able to leave the hospital, safe and sound. Kylie was so tired but she was doing very well when we left. She was acting like her old self.


Thank you Lord for being there with our family and for saving my daughter. If I didn't hear Kylie yelling from upstairs, who knows what could have happened. I am still going through some mental healing from seeing my little girl gasp for air to breath.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At March 23, 2009 at 7:50 PM , Blogger Keep Your Sunny Side Up said...

Donna, this truly is one of the scariest things a mom has to face. You did great! Thank goodness the doctor you saw took it seriously. We ended up in the hospital for a week because the first doctor we saw thought I was over reacting. A good tip is that cold or cool air opens the airways so that the baby can breathe. So a trip outside into the cool night air is helpful. I am so happy that all turned out okay. Our Heavenly Father truly watches over us. Also, a good cool mist humidifier is a good thing to have in the house. Oh, and I am Kate's mother-in-law.

 
At March 23, 2009 at 7:51 PM , Blogger Sherry said...

that was such a frightening thing to happen- josie isn't feeling too well and i was just talking with katie on how hard it is when your baby gets sick- they just can't tell you anything- so glad you were able to find out what the problem was.

 
At March 24, 2009 at 2:01 PM , Blogger Donna said...

Thanks ladies for all your coments. Steve, Kylie and I are doing much better now and we are just taking things one day at a time. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

 
At March 27, 2009 at 8:51 PM , Blogger Kate said...

Glad to hear you are doing better, I left you a few messages, so disregard those now. I was getting worried because I didn't hear back from you, but figured you and Steve were just very busy taking care of Kylie. again, glad to hear things are better!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home